Gujarat: Devastating fire in Surat building kills 17 students


Updated

Surat, May 24 (IANS): A devastating fire engulfed a coaching centre in a Surat building in Gujarat on Friday, killing 17 students.

Official sources said some of the students were charred to death while some jumped off the four-storey building in panic and died as they fell.

Fire Brigade sources confirmed that 17 students were killed in the incident at the Takshashila Arcade building in Sarthana area. Officials feared that the death toll could go up further.

The coaching centre was being run on the covered roof-top, which effectively became the fourth storey, and there was a wooden staircase to reach there, witnesses said.

Locals were seen helping in the rescue operation to save stranded students as well as other occupants of the four-storey building.

"Students on fourth and third floor jumped off to the ground to save themselves from fire and smoke. Many have been rescued and sent to hospital. The operation to douse the fire is on," said a fire official.

In a video clip of the incident, some young students can be seen coming out of the windows of a coaching class and jumping off from the third and fourth floors amid thick smoke coming out from the building.

The authorities of the Surat Municipal Corporation were inquiring whether the building had taken the statutory permission, including regarding fire safety.

Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani, who ordered an investigation into the incident by Mukesh Puri, Principal Secretary, Urban Development, himself rushed to Surat.

He also announced a financial help of Rs 4 lakh each to the families of the students who died.

Shocked by the incident, Prime Minister Narendra Modi posted on his tweeter handle: "Extremely anguished by the fire tragedy. My thoughts are with bereaved families. May the injured recover quickly. Have asked the Gujarat government and local authorities to provide all possible assistance to those affected."

Several other leaders, including Congress President Rahul Gandhi, also condoled the death of the students.

 

With inputs from agencies

Comment on this article

  • SmR, Karkala

    Sun, May 26 2019

    PM’s Gujarat Model failed to rein in unsafe buildings in Surat, death reaches of 20 students
    Absence of an 18 feet ladder and a net with the fire brigade led to the death of 20 students in Surat, exposing Narendra Modi’s Gujarat Model. Authorities are busy  celebrating Namo’s return .

    The state with worlds tallest statue of Sardar Patel doesn't even have 18 feet ladder and 2 KM to reach 45 minutes.

    Gujarat Model need to learn some lessons from Odisha CM Biju Patnaik who saved 20 lakh without any casualty during the recent cyclone. Perhaps Kerala will be a living example which recovered after massive floods.
    Jai Hind

    DisAgree [1] Agree [2] Reply Report Abuse

  • Cyrus, Mumbai

    Sat, May 25 2019

    Very sad incident...young life lost...Jai Hind...

    DisAgree Agree [1] Reply Report Abuse

  • suhail, Mangalore

    Sat, May 25 2019

    In India only Bollywood cinema has advanced technology for movie shooting, in real life we live in the most dangerous life in India. everything is what the British left back before Independence

    DisAgree [1] Agree [9] Reply Report Abuse

  • Joseph, Kadri

    Sat, May 25 2019

    Gujarat shining bullet train but no ladders till 4th floor empty fire tankers

    DisAgree [2] Agree [19] Reply Report Abuse

  • Haneef, Mangalore

    Sat, May 25 2019

    In Gujarat illegal rooftops are common . And Surat is one of the dirtiest city of Gujarat and Ahmedabad is second dirtiest.

    DisAgree [7] Agree [11] Reply Report Abuse

  • Monty Dotor, Mangalore

    Sat, May 25 2019

    It is time that firesafety audit be carried out in all buildings in Mangalore and Udupi. Beyond just sending notices authorities should take concrete action. Tution classes charge exorbitant fees but do not provided basic facilities.

    DisAgree Agree [15] Reply Report Abuse

  • Vincent Rodrigues, Katapadi/Bangaluru

    Sat, May 25 2019

    Quite unfortunate and scary incident indeed and the cause of the accident may be found on investigation.May the souls of the departed in this incident rest in peace.

    DisAgree Agree [8] Reply Report Abuse

  • Nelson Pinto, Udupi/ Oman

    Sat, May 25 2019

    Just look at our fire safety vehicles.....even they can not hold straight the laders....all vehicles are more than 30 to 40 years old.....

    DisAgree Agree [14] Reply Report Abuse

  • Roshan Rodrigues, Mangalore

    Fri, May 24 2019

    Very Sad RIP Students

    DisAgree Agree [7] Reply Report Abuse

  • abdulla, india

    Fri, May 24 2019

    May their Souls rest in Peace!

    Total Negligence....
    What do we learn from this such Sad and Horrific incidence.. Students!
    Very very Sad and Heart wrenching.
    We squarely blame the Politicians.. Engineers.. designers.. builders..above all the Municipality....city..
    what the hell are they doing?
    How can they approve a building design ..while the building has no..
    Emergency exit?
    Emergency exit steps..
    How did the Fire break out???
    Electric short circuit?
    what about the Load..
    How about the Fire service .. ambulance?
    did they come on time..
    Total Callous... NEGLECT by all.
    SO wake up ..
    Mangalore municipality /city/Corporation..
    Do not simply sit on your back side in A/C Cars/ A/C office..
    Go and check each and every Building..Old and new.
    All Electric Breakers.. Air condition Load..
    Fuse.
    Emergency Exits.
    Helicopter Landing Pads.
    also Ambulance ...
    Fire brigade to be operational ready with enough water in the System and Reach the spot for Dousing within minutes..

    Be ready like Battle field.
    This is the Lesson we need to learn.

    DisAgree Agree [34] Reply Report Abuse

  • Nish, Ixe/dxb

    Fri, May 24 2019

    Ya Allah. Really so sad. MAY ALLAH give patience for the family of those who passed away.. govt shud take strict action against those people for not following rules.. poor kids trapped, there is no fire escape.

    DisAgree [1] Agree [21] Reply Report Abuse

  • tds, Mangalore

    Fri, May 24 2019

    Very very sad incident
    Why authorities are inquiring now? Why not before? Where are they before?
    Utter waste management and lack of responsibility.
    Shame on these authorities.

    DisAgree [1] Agree [18] Reply Report Abuse

  • abdul munim, mangalore

    Fri, May 24 2019

    Really Sad. In our country safety, especially fire safety is very poor. Most of the buildings do not have fire exits at all.
    May the souls of the young children rest in peace.

    DisAgree Agree [23] Reply Report Abuse

  • Evans C. Sumitra, Udupi/New York, USA.

    Fri, May 24 2019

    It is a terrible tragedy that 15 students were killed in this building fire. May their souls RIP and give peace and comfort to the parents and all the loved ones.

    DisAgree Agree [25] Reply Report Abuse

  • Jossey Saldanha, Mumbai

    Fri, May 24 2019

    Rest in Peace ...

    DisAgree Agree [34] Reply Report Abuse


Leave a Comment

Title : Gujarat: Devastating fire in Surat building kills 17 students


 
 
 
 

 
You have 2000 characters left.

Disclaimer:

Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.


Security Validation

Enter the characters in the image