Sydney, Apr 4 (DPA): Next year's Australian Grand Prix is likely to start an hour earlier after governing body FIA said there was insufficient light at last month's Formula One race at Melbourne's Albert Park circuit, a leading website said Sunday.
Cars left the grid at 5:00 p.m. (0600 GMT) so highlights of the race could appear on early morning news bulletins in Europe. Drivers complained not just about the lack of light but the glare from the late afternoon sun.
The FIA is to rule the twilight experiment failed and the race must start earlier in the afternoon, the autosport.com website reported.
Polish driver Robert Kubica, who finished second to world champion Jenson Button, said he would be happy with an early morning race.
"Last year when we had this big shift, we knew what the reason was," Kubica told the website. "But then I say, let's do it early in the morning so it's Saturday evening in Europe."
Kubica said he was not alone in complaining about the lack of light.
"I think after Australia we complained already twice. The FIA did some measurements and it's clear it's too dark for them for the safety target they are putting," he said. "It's a serious problem and this year was very dark in Australia and the year before the sun was very low, which was very dangerous."
Australian Grand Prix organizers and Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone will make the decision on the timing of the 2011 race. Ecclestone is campaigning for the race to be held under lights.
Sydney, keen to steal the Grand Prix when Melbourne's contract with the FIA runs out in 2014, has already stated its willingness to hold the race at night on an illuminated track.