M'rashtra thwarts Delhi-like Tablighi catastrophe in Palghar


Mumbai, Apr 3 (IANS): The Maharashtra government nipped in the bud a potential catastrophe by refusing permission for Tablighi Jamaat convention in Palghar last month, official sources said here on Friday.

The Tablighi Jamaat is currently in the eye of a storm for the sudden spurt in the number of Covid-19 positive cases and deaths around the country as many have links with the Delhi event.

Last January, before Covid-19 knocked the doors in India, Tablighi Jamaat had sought permission to hold a mega-convention with over 50,000 participants from all over India and the world on March 14-15 near Vasai town in Palghar, around 30 kms on the outskirts of Mumbai.

The clearances were requested by Shamim Education & Welfare Society (SEWS) for the event which would include recitations from the Holy Quran, religious discourses, namaz prayers, discussions, etc., at the Diwanman village in Vasai west.

After discussions among the top district and state police brass, the programme was given a tentative green signal on Feb. 05, when Covid-19 had already entered the country.

However, as Maharashtra came into the grip of the Coronavirus in a big way and the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared it as a global 'pandemic', alarm bells started ringing in the state government.

Taking a serious view, the Home Ministry swung into action and on March 6, cancelled all the permissions granted by the local police for the Tablighi Jamaat event.

"We have strictly warned the organisers against holding any such congregation in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemica Now, seeing the chaos all over after the Delhi convention, it appears our timely precaution has prevented a similar situation from developing in Maharashtra," Home Minister Anil Deshmukh said.

The state government's move proved to be a savior as on March 24 Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray announced a Maharashtra alockdown', followed by a national lockdown from March 25 declared by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

He added that the Delhi event's repercussions have shaken the whole country as many of the participants and their contacts have been infected by Covid-19 now.

"If the Delhi home ministry had displayed a similar presence of mind and reacted swiftly, it could have helped prevent the spread and its massive fallout we are now witnessing," Deshmukh said.

Incidentally, though the Palghar convention was cancelled, Maharashtra continues to bear the brunt of the Delhi meet which was attended by around 1,400 from the state.

While most participants have been identified and a few traced, a massive hunt is underway to track the others, while around 300 are in quarantine in different parts of the state including Mumbai.

The first Covid-19 case was reported in India on Jan. 30 which has today shot up to over 2,300, besides more than 55 deaths, and Maharashtra has 423 cases plus 20 deaths so far.

  

Comment on this article

  • Alphonso Dsouza, Mumbai

    Fri, Apr 3 2020

    There are a few reasons why Maharashtra Government had the backbone to cancel a gathering of 50000 people.

    1. It is a coalition of three parties - full of experienced people, three past CMs in the cabinet. They all have the experience of running a Government in emergency situation. We are feeling quite safe in Maharashtra despite the fact that the number of COVID19 cases have increased.

    2. Delhi - is like an orphaned state. No power granted to them to run the Police force. CM can make a lot of announcements; without the police backing, the implementation is impossible. Here the Central Ministries have failed miserably. No one knows who is supposed to do what. So lack of governance on the part of the Central Government. Police are inactive in all respects.

    It also needs a great deal of courage to disclose the decisions taken by the Maha Government on a TV channel. Kudos to the Home Minister.

    Lets all stay alert and contribute greatly to defeat the Corona.

    DisAgree [1] Agree [4] Reply Report Abuse


LEAVE A COMMENT

Title : M'rashtra thwarts Delhi-like Tablighi catastrophe in Palghar


 
 
 
 

 
You have 2000 characters left.

Disclaimer:

Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.


Security Validation

Enter the characters in the image