Bangalore: HC Directs Criminal Action on Transfer of SC/ST Land

Bangalore, Jun 8 (DHNS): In what could be termed as a landmark decision on restriction on transfer of certain lands, the High Court of Karnataka on Tuesday ruled that criminal cases be booked against persons intentionally selling land allotted to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes.

The Division Bench comprising Chief Justice J S Khehar and Justice H G Ramesh said there had been an increase in the number of instances of selling the land allotted to SC/STs, despite the knowledge of the bar on sale of such land.

“The Karnataka Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prohibition of Transfer of Certain Lands) Act, 1978 imposes a ban on transfer of land allotted to SC/STs. However, the allottees have been selling land despite full knowledge of the law. They later give a statement before the authority concerned that they were unaware of the restriction on transfer and reclaim the land only to sell it to others,” the Bench noted. There had been a spurt in the number of victims approaching the High Court after losing both land and money, it said.

The trail

Four acres of land was allotted to Cheluvaiah of Hunasur taluk (Mysore district) in 1955.

After several transfers, Marideva Gowda purchased the land.  Cheluvaiah filed an application before the assistant commissioner (AC) stating that he sold the land without the knowledge of restriction on transfer, and sought re-possesion. The AC ruled in favour of Cheluvaiah and on an appeal, the HC upheld the decision. Cheluvaiah sold the same land to Somegowda, filed and application before the AC, again.

A single judge of the HC endorsed the AC’s ruling. The matter was again challenged before the Division Bench. It allowed the purchaser to demand repayment of the sale money from Cheluvaiah with interest.


Top Stories

Comment on this article

  • Kiran, Bangalore

    Sat, Aug 9 2014

    We have brought land in Bangalore 7 years back and we have constructed a house and last week our neighbour received notice from ac , saying that this land given by govt to Sc/st ,and his grandson claming the land now,

    Is that any law, can we appeal on it?

    DisAgree [2] Agree [2] Reply Report Abuse

  • Trupti Raikar, Mundgod

    Fri, May 9 2014

    Even i am suffering with the same issue.

    An SC man has done 3 sale agreements on the same land and received initial advances. But we ask he is refusing to pay the amount and challenging us to file case.

    For filing compromise petition itself i need to pay 10% initial amount. What shall we do?

    DisAgree [2] Agree [2] Reply Report Abuse


Title : Bangalore: HC Directs Criminal Action on Transfer of SC/ST Land


You have 2000 characters left.


Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will be held responsible.

Security Validation

Enter the characters in the image