Eight tourists from Kerala die due to suspected gas leak in Nepal resort

Daijiworld Media Network – Thiruvananthapuram (AM)

Thiruvananthapuram, Jan 21: In a shocking and tragic incident, eight tourists from Kerala who were holidaying in Nepal’s Daman were reportedly found dead in their hotel room. The incident took place in Everest Panorama resort in Daman on Tuesday, January 21.

As per details, the tourists died of asphyxiation after using gas heater in their room.

The deceased were identified as Praveen Krishnan Nair (39), his wife Saranya Sasi, kids Sreebhadra Praveen (9), Aarcha Praveen (8), Abhinav Saranya Nair (7), Ranjith Kumar Adatholath Punathil (39), his wife Indu Lakshmi Peethambaran Ragalatha (34) and son Vyshnav Ranjith (2).

Praveen, Sharanya and their family (left) and Ranjith and Indu with Madhav

They were all airlifted to a Kathmandu hospital on Tuesday and declared dead on arrival.

The deceased, two couples and four children, were part of a group of 15 people travelling from Kerala to Pokhara, a popular mountainous tourist destination. They were on their way back home and stayed at Everest Panorama Resort in Daman in Makawanpur district on Monday night. The area is at an altitude of nearly 2500 metres above sea level, where they had turned on the gas heater for the night, to keep themselves warm.

According to a press release issued by the district police Office, Makwanpur, although the deceased had booked a total of four rooms, eight of them stayed in a room and remaining others in another room, and all the windows and the door of the room were bolted from inside. Ranjith and Indu’s other son Madhav, was reportedly was sleeping in a different room and his life was spared.

Kerala chief minister (CM) Pinarayi Vijayan condoled the death of the tourists in Nepal. Under his direction, officials have taken steps to expedite procedures for the repatriation of the mortal remains of the victims, said the CM’s office.




Top Stories

Comment on this article

  • H. Almeida., Bendur/Andheri

    Wed, Jan 22 2020

    This is a tragedy... a destiny which no individuals can preempt... Recollect vivdly, of young engineering students getting burnt, killed, with no escape routes, available, at a hip restaurant at Vidya Vihar station in Mumbai..... RIP !!!!

    DisAgree Agree [5] Reply Report Abuse

  • Jossey Saldanha, Mumbai

    Wed, Jan 22 2020

    Stop going to Backward Countries.
    Rest in Peace ...

    DisAgree [19] Agree [9] Reply Report Abuse

  • Praveen, Mangalore

    Wed, Jan 22 2020

    Not all can go to USA .

    DisAgree [1] Agree [10] Reply Report Abuse

  • Jessy Pinto, Kulshekar/ Mangalore

    Tue, Jan 21 2020

    So sad.

    DisAgree Agree [3] Reply Report Abuse

  • Stephen Quadros Permude, Permude/ Kaikamba

    Tue, Jan 21 2020

    So Sad and Shocking

    DisAgree [1] Agree [6] Reply Report Abuse

  • M. DSouza, Mangalore/USA

    Tue, Jan 21 2020

    Many similar incidents happening in many countries.
    One has to be extremely cautious when you go for non-hotel type accommodations like old apartments with poor ventilation/old appliances especially Air BNB type.

    DisAgree [1] Agree [7] Reply Report Abuse


    Tue, Jan 21 2020

    Tragic news, may the departed souls rest in peace.

    DisAgree Agree [2] Reply Report Abuse


Title : Eight tourists from Kerala die due to suspected gas leak in Nepal resort


You have 2000 characters left.


Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.

Security Validation

Enter the characters in the image