Mumbai girl dies brushing teeth with rat poison instead of toothpaste

Mumbai, Sep 14 (IANS): In a bizarre incident, an 18-year-old girl from Dharavi dies after she brushed her teeth with rat poison, mistaking it for toothpaste, police said here on Tuesday.

The incident occurred in the morning of September 3 at her home when Afsana Khan got up to brush her teeth as usual.

Unfortunately, she unwittingly picked up a tube of rat poison cream kept beside the toothpaste tube and brushed with the killer chemical paste.

She belatedly realised the difference in the taste and smell and frantically attempted to wash out the deadly poison from her mouth, but she started feeling giddy in the bathroom.

Fearing a scolding from her family, she kept popping some medicines as she felt uneasy with severe stomach aches, but got no respite and was taken to at least three private and public hospitals without any improvement in her health condition.

With steadily deteriorating health, and a grilling by her mother Afsana she finally revealed to the family members of the blunder and they rushed her to Sir JJ Hospital for treatment on September 12 (Sunday).

However, despite all attempts to save her, Afsana breathed her last that evening, stunning her family comprising her parents, an elder sister and two younger brothers, besides the people in the locality.

The medical report has concluded that Afsana died due to poisoning and the Dharavi Police Station has collected sample for a forensic analysis.

Soon afterwards, the police recorded the statements of her family on the incident and have registered an accidental death report, while further probe is on, according to an official.

While Afsana dropped out of school during the lockdown, the family makes a living through a small fruit selling business.



Top Stories

Comment on this article

  • Rajesh B Shetty, Udupi

    Wed, Sep 15 2021

    Such items should be banned. Also the parents should be arrested for negligence keeping the rat poison tube along with toothpaste. Sheer negligence cost an innocent life. RIP.

    DisAgree Agree [3] Reply Report Abuse

  • Robin, Byndoor

    Wed, Sep 15 2021

    This is second or third case we have heard in recent days. Authorities should take it seriously to check container standards of such poisonous material. It should be similar to toothpaste or any other general commodity. A totally different container should be used that in no way resemble general daily use items like tooth paste, shaving cream etc.

    DisAgree Agree [5] Reply Report Abuse

  • Rita, Germany

    Wed, Sep 15 2021

    Very sad.Big mistake was made by keeping poisonous paste,or other things with food article tins is very common in houses.Many keep medicines in a normal tins Kerosin in open which small children drink thinking it is drinks etc .are DDT powder which is not allowed to use is still find in houses.Please take care not to mix medcines and poisonous things together.A young life is gone.She made biggest mistake of drinking something to washout ,but rest in mouth had gone to stomach which made the mistake complete.It absorbs quickly and everything will make worst.May her soul rest in peace.Heartfelt sympathy to parents.RIP.

    DisAgree Agree Reply Report Abuse

Leave a Comment

Title: Mumbai girl dies brushing teeth with rat poison instead of toothpaste

You have 2000 characters left.


Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will be held responsible.