Washington: Trump says he may meet Kim Jong Un later this year


Daijiworld Media Network – Washington

Washington, Aug 20: US President Donald Trump has said he expects to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un later this year, raising hopes of renewed diplomatic engagement between Washington and Pyongyang.

Speaking to reporters at the White House on Wednesday, Trump said he has a good relationship with Kim and indicated that he remains open to discussions with the North Korean leader. He also claimed that North Korea has around 57 nuclear weapons while arguing that Iran should not be allowed to acquire a nuclear weapon.

Neither Trump nor senior US officials have provided firm details about a possible meeting. However, reports have suggested that the US President could meet Kim in November during the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit in China.

Kim's sister, Kim Yo Jong, meanwhile, said she was not aware of any recent communication between the two leaders. She nevertheless said Kim had good memories and feelings about Trump and described their relationship as excellent.

A meeting between Trump and Kim would mark a renewed effort to engage with North Korea over its nuclear programme and could help reduce tensions on the Korean Peninsula. Trump and Kim previously held talks during Trump's first term, including a historic summit in Singapore in 2018.

The latest development comes shortly after Trump ordered the Pentagon to substantially reduce planned joint military exercises with South Korea. North Korea has repeatedly criticised such drills, viewing them as a potential threat to its security.

The US currently has around 28,500 troops stationed in South Korea, while Washington and Seoul maintain their military alliance amid continuing concerns over North Korea's nuclear and missile programmes.

If the proposed meeting takes place, it could provide an opportunity for both sides to reopen dialogue and explore ways to ease tensions in the region.

London: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly planning to return to the United Kingdom nearly six years after stepping down as senior working members of the British royal family and moving to the United States.

According to UK media reports, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are expected to return to Britain this month, with their children, Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet, reportedly set to begin school there in September.

The couple is not expected to resume their duties as working members of the royal family. Instead, they are reportedly planning to establish a private residence in the UK and continue their lives as private individuals. The location of their proposed home has not been disclosed.

Harry and Meghan moved to the US in 2020 after announcing their decision to step back from royal duties. They initially lived at Frogmore Cottage, which had been gifted to them by the late Queen Elizabeth II, but were later asked by King Charles to give up the lease in 2023.

The reported move comes amid efforts by Harry to rebuild his relationship with members of the royal family after years of tensions. Reports suggest that King Charles was informed about the couple's plans on August 16 and has been receptive to the decision.

Although Harry and Meghan are not expected to return as working royals, Harry is likely to continue his involvement in charitable activities and Invictus Games-related initiatives. Meghan is also expected to continue her lifestyle brand and other professional projects from the UK.

The couple had earlier visited Britain with Archie and Lilibet this year in connection with Invictus Games-related events. During the visit, they reportedly met King Charles and Queen Camilla privately.

Harry also took his children to his late mother Princess Diana's ancestral home and final resting place. Meghan later shared glimpses of the family's time in Britain.

If the reported move goes ahead, it would mark a significant change for the Sussexes, who have largely based their family and professional lives in California since leaving royal duties.

 

 

  

Top Stories


Leave a Comment

Title: Washington: Trump says he may meet Kim Jong Un later this year



You have 2000 characters left.

Disclaimer:

Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.