US navy destroyer loses power for four days in Pacific, crew left without basic facilities


Daijiworld Media Network – Washington

Washington, Aug 19: A US Navy destroyer carrying around 300 sailors suffered a major engineering failure in the Pacific Ocean last month, leaving the vessel without power for four days, the Navy has confirmed.

The USS Benfold reported an engineering casualty involving its generators on July 24, resulting in a complete loss of power, Navy spokesman Cmdr Matthew Comer said.

The breakdown reportedly left the crew without drinking water, meals, functioning toilets and air conditioning for several days. No injuries were reported among the sailors.

According to the Navy, the crew displayed professionalism and resilience while dealing with the situation. However, the destroyer required assistance from the USS George Washington carrier strike group.

The USS Robert Smalls supplied meals to the stranded crew while efforts were made to restore the vessel's systems.

The Benfold was eventually towed to Subic Bay in the Philippines, reaching the port on July 28 for repairs. The crew was provided with food and accommodation ashore during the repair period.

The Navy said the destroyer departed Subic Bay on August 8 after its engineering systems, combat systems and crew-support facilities were restored to normal functioning.

The incident comes amid growing scrutiny over conditions faced by US Navy personnel at sea. Concerns have also been raised over prolonged deployments and shortages of essential supplies aboard some naval vessels.

The USS Abraham Lincoln, which has reportedly spent around 250 consecutive days at sea, has faced allegations of shortages of food and hygiene supplies, along with concerns over crew stress and mental health.

Meanwhile, vessels from the George Washington carrier strike group have been moving towards the Middle East. The USS George Washington is expected to replace the USS Abraham Lincoln, which US officials have indicated could soon return home.

The movement could leave the Pacific without a US aircraft carrier presence for an uncertain period, even as Washington continues to focus on maintaining its strategic position in the region and deterring China.

 

 

  

Top Stories


Leave a Comment

Title: US navy destroyer loses power for four days in Pacific, crew left without basic facilities



You have 2000 characters left.

Disclaimer:

Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.