Pics: Spoorthi Ullal / Justin D'Silva
Daijiworld Media Network - Mangaluru/Udupi
Mangaluru/Udupi, Sep 8: Churches across the coastal districts celebrated the feast of Our Lady of Nativity, or Monthi Fest with joy and devotion. However, due to restrictions owing to coronavirus pandemic, the celebrations were mellow this time.
The feast, marking the birthday of Mother Mary, is celebrated after the nine-day Novena.
In Mangaluru, bishop Dr Peter Saldanha led the Mass at Rosario Cathedral, while in Udupi bishop Dr Gerald Isaac Lobo led the Mass at Mother of Sorrows Church.
Rosario Cathedral, Mangaluru
Mother of Sorrows Church, Udupi
This time, strict safety measures were followed in churches according to government's guidelines. Only a limited number of faithful were allowed inside the churches, and wearing mask was mandatory. All attendees were checked with thermal scanners for temperature and were given hand sanitizers before being allowed inside the church. Children under 10 years and senior citizens above 60 years were not allowed.
Unlike other years, some of the rituals such as procession and offering of flowers by children were absent due to COVID restrictions. However, the faithful were allowed to offer flowers to Mother Mary individually. Strict social distancing was observed inside the churches.
Monthi Fest has cultural significance. It is a harvest festival for Catholics. The feast food is a variety of vegetarian delicacies from locally grown vegetables. Newly grown rice is part of the feast which is symbolically distributed in churches after blessing.
Mangalureans spread across the globe celebrate this feast with utmost devotion.
Churches in the coastal districts opened for holy Eucharist celebrations after a long gap of five months. The usual Sunday Mass will be held henceforth with strict safety measures in place and as per the official guidelines.
- St Antony Church, Kulur
- Sacred Heart Church, Madanthyar
- Our Lady of Mercy Church, Fajir
- Holy Cross Church, Hosabettu
- Holy Cross Church, Hospet
- Infant Mary Church, Bajjodi
- Holy Cross Church, Taccode
- Holy Rosary Church Alangar, Moodbidri
- St Joseph the Worker Church, Vamanjoor
- St Theresa Church, Paldane
- St Francis Xavier Church, Bejai
- Our Lady of Remedies Church, Kirem
- St Vincent Ferrer Church, Valencia
- Holy Cross Church Cordel, Kulshekar
- God the Holy Spirit Church, Bajal
- Guardian Angel Church, Nagori
- Most Holy Redeemer Church, Derebail
- St Sebastain Church, Permannur
- Our Lady of Dolorous Chapel, Kodialbail
- St Lawrence Church, Bondel
- St Agnes CBSE School
- Infant Jesus Shrine, Bikarnakatte
- Our Lady of Perpetual Succour Church, Gantalkatte
- St Joseph the Worker Church, Neermarga
- Mother of God Church, Shakthinagar
- St Dominic Church, Ashoknagar
- Monte Mariano, Farangipet
- Infant Jesus church Pavoor Uliya Island near Adyar
|Kanara Cultural Association