Daijiworld Media Network - Mangaluru (SP)
Mangaluru, Jan 19: A number of people from Kuppepadavu region near Gurpur who consumed shellfish on Saturday last fell ill and got admitted into private hospitals for treatment.
The health of these people suddenly deteriorated after they bought shellfish and consumed it after cooking dishes. As they are scared of getting infected with Covid19, they preferred to get treated in private hospitals instead of visiting government hospitals or primary health centres out of the fear of Covid 19 infection, it is said.
One among them got treatment in a private hospital in the city. Ranjani Kulavoor, one of the persons to have obtained treatment, said that after consuming shellfish, the people started feeling dizzy, their eyes blurred and they started throwing up.
Several people expressed the suspicion that chemical compounds are sprayed to preserve shellfish and this might have caused adverse effects on the health of people who consumed such shellfish. Dr Kiran of Kuppepadavu primary health centre said that none with the above symptoms had visited his centre. However, he said he has gathered that some people were affected by food poisoning. He said that ill people will be treated if they visit the primary health centre and that there is no need to be scared of Covid19.