Mumbai, Sep 21 (IANS): In a Ganeshotsav tragedy, a 23-year-old technician -- Mahendra Yadav, from Uttar Pradesh -- working on daily wages, was reportedly electrocuted following which he died on the sets of a television serial, an official said here on Wednesday.
Dhadak All Film Kamgar Union General Secretary Abhijeet Rane said that the incident occurred on Tuesday on the sets during the shooting of 'Imlie' tele-serial, being made by 4 Lions Films Pvt. Ltd., at the Film City in Goregaon.
"Yadav hailed from Bishunpura Khurd village of Kushinagar in Uttar Pradesh. We have made arrangements to airlift his body there for the last rites. I have also spoken with the tele-serial producers, the police and the family in this regard to ensure justice for the young man," said Rane.
He said that when he raised the matter with the producers, they claimed that Yadav died of a heart attack while others on the shooting crew contended that he suffered a powerful electric shock and succumbed instantly, but the details will be available only after the autopsy report.
The Federation of Western India Cine Employees President B.N. Tiwari suspects that this could be a case of sheer negligence as adequate safety measures are still lacking on film or tele-serial sets during such shootings.
The police have registered a case and have been probing the matter.
Rane said that though the deceased was a daily-wager, he would discuss with the serial producers and others concerned for compensation and other help like group insurance, if any cover was available, for Yadav's family in Uttar Pradesh.
The All India Cine Workers Association has demanded a compensation of Rs 50 lakh and police action on all who would be found responsible for Yadav's death.