Kundapur: Fish mill storage blast - Number of ill labourers reaches 74


Silvester D'Souza

Daijiworld Media Network - Kundapur (MS)

Kundapur, Aug 12: The number of labourers, who took ill because of Ammonia liquid blast that took place in the Malpe Marine fish storage plant of Devalkunda near Hemmady under Katbelthur gram panchayat limits, which had faced protests even before its inception, has risen to 74 as per the latest update.

67 women and seven men labourers are admitted into the Adarsha hospital in the town and are being monitored in the ICU unit. The labourers who are admitted to the hospital are Malashree (22), Vinutha (24), Deepa (20), Manjula (19), Savita (23), Bhavani (24), Vidya (21), Netravati (23), Anita (23), Amrita (20), Rekha (20), Nagaratna (19), Chaitra (18), Radha (19), Bharathi (21), Vidya M (20), Pallavi (18), Revathi (34), Rekha K (25), Jayalakshmi K (23), Veda (19), Jyoti (19), Nagaratna (19), Supreeta (24), Poornima (19), Revathi (24), Sita (26), Nayana (23), Revathi (23), Ashvitha (20), Mangala (19), Suguna (28), Kalavati (24), Sumuthra (24), Laxmi (22), Deepa (19), Leelavati 20), Sharada (22), Sharada (23), Anita (21), Nethra (24), Preeti (18), Gauri (22), Padmavati (25), Chandrakala (19), Jyoti (22), Nivedita (20), Naveena (24), Kalpana (24), Shalini (18), Bhavani N (25), Vidya B (20), Nagina M R (23), Ranjini G (20), Anita B (25), Revati G (24), Deepa H (24), Mangala B (24), Nayana (24), Sumida (25), Shwetha S (21), Bhavani S (19), Pooja (21), Gulabi (26), Mahadevi (19), Divya (24), Nagaratna (20), Ramachandra (21), Manish Chand (18), Suresh (21), Anil (22), Deepak (18), Sumant (19) and Ruksha (18).

It is learnt that Ammonia liquid is used to freeze the blocks of ice. This got blasted all of a sudden on the morning of Monday, August 12. Sub-divisional officer of Kundapur Madhukeshwar and tahsildar Tippeswamy have visited the hospital and are collecting the information with regards to the accident.

Malpe Marine fish storage plant, which started two years ago, faced fierce protest by the villagers during the inception itself. However, due to the negligence of the local administration and the people representatives, the company started functioning. Now, after the blast, it is again become a point for the locals to object the presence of this company in the area.

Top Stories

Comment on this article

  • SmR, Karkala

    Wed, Aug 14 2019

    Forget about the victims already suffered from the exposure to the gaseous substance, the civil defense without any gas mask in disaster management shows how the nation is ill-prepared for mini 'Bhopal Gas'.

    The nation is still not yet learned from Bhopal Gas tragedy in which more than 10,000 casualties, endless numbers being blinded forever and children' to date born with abnormalities.

    It is the responsibility of the District Commissioner and civil Defence. Hope at least now some gas mask will be purchased for the future eventuality.

    I regret the Civil Defence for poor preparedness.

    Jai Hind

    DisAgree Agree [1] Reply Report Abuse

  • kateel pai, vitla

    Tue, Aug 13 2019

    Need Good Codes and Permit process. As India is developing at a fast pace industrially there should be no compromise on Life Safety.

    DisAgree Agree [3] Reply Report Abuse

  • SKM, Mangalore

    Tue, Aug 13 2019

    Ammonia, it's own will not explode . Many reasons , not maintaining the plant properly , No safety valve / un tested safety valve, or unsafe act by an in- competent operator maintaining the plant or equipment
    If proper risk assessment and controls implemented , accident can be prevented. Looks No preparedness or PPE used , right mask in this case (If provided by company)
    The investor always try to avoid testing which is the result of such incident . This incident should be audited by 3rd party to check what went wrong and the culprit should be punished.

    DisAgree Agree [2] Reply Report Abuse

  • RonRon, Udupi

    Mon, Aug 12 2019

    Exposure Liquid Ammonia or Nitrogen is more dangerous than live fire. The direct exposure can cause severe cold burn injuries.
    I definitely believe proper precautionary measures are not followed in these facilities.

    DisAgree Agree [10] Reply Report Abuse

  • SKM, Mangalore

    Tue, Aug 13 2019

    Looking on picture , people in the accident vicinity using dust / medical mask ( not right mask) in an Ammonia leak area. This is all about Safety culture, enforcing and providing safe work place and competent personel . Only sign board does not help in such accident.

    DisAgree Agree [2] Reply Report Abuse

  • Flora Dsouza, kalmady/Jerimeri-Mumbai

    Mon, Aug 12 2019

    Feeling very sad about these young Women. Praying for their fast recovery...

    DisAgree Agree [14] Reply Report Abuse

Leave a Comment

Title : Kundapur: Fish mill storage blast - Number of ill labourers reaches 74


 
 
 
 

 
You have 2000 characters left.

Disclaimer:

Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.


Security Validation

Enter the characters in the image