Daijiworld Media Network - Washington
Washington, Feb 17: US President Donald Trump has indicated that he will be “indirectly” involved in the upcoming talks between the United States and Iran, scheduled to begin in Geneva on Tuesday. Speaking aboard Air Force One, Trump expressed optimism that Iran is now motivated to strike a deal on its nuclear programme.
The second round of talks in Switzerland comes amid heightened tensions, including repeated US military threats over Iran’s deadly crackdown on anti-government protests and ongoing disputes regarding its nuclear ambitions. Iran’s foreign ministry on Monday suggested that the US stance on nuclear issues had shifted toward “a more realistic one.”

Tuesday’s Geneva meeting, mediated by Oman, is expected to focus primarily on Iran’s nuclear programme and the potential lifting of US-imposed economic sanctions. Washington has previously indicated it may also raise other concerns, including Iran’s missile stockpile.
Describing the talks as “very important,” Trump said, “I don’t think they want the consequences of not making a deal,” recalling last summer’s US bombings of Iranian nuclear sites. He added, “We could have had a deal instead of sending the B-2s in to knock out their nuclear potential. And we had to send the B-2s. I hope they’re going to be more reasonable.”
Meanwhile, the US has ramped up its military presence in the Middle East. Satellite imagery verified by the BBC confirms the USS Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier near Iran, alongside the deployment of the USS Gerald R Ford, the world’s largest warship, expected to arrive within three weeks. US destroyers, combat ships, and fighter jets have also been tracked moving into the region.
In response, Iran showcased its own military strength. On Monday, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) conducted a maritime drill in the Strait of Hormuz, a critical oil export route in the Gulf. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi met with the UN nuclear watchdog chief in Geneva, stating on X that he aimed to “achieve a fair and equitable deal” while rejecting submission under threats.
US envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner have been dispatched to the talks, with Secretary of State Marco Rubio describing a potential agreement as “very difficult,” though diplomatically possible. Rubio said, “There’s an opportunity here to reach an agreement ... but it’s going to be hard.”