Pretoria, June 16 (IANS) The South African government has asked its people to consume less electricity in order to ensure uninterrupted power supply during the soccer World Cup.
"We urge our communities and the public at large to continuously reduce their consumption of electricity, and thus ensure that Eskom and other role-players are able to keep the lights on," Energy Minister Dipuo Peters said.
The minister expressed satisfaction that the stadia hosting the games have not experienced any electricity disruption so far.
"More importantly that millions of our people were able to watch games at their homes, parks and other public viewing areas with very little electricity interruptions," she said.
About the reports of cable and electricity theft in the country, the minister said that those involved in such act will be punished, according to BuaNews.
"Such criminal practices do not only hamper the provision of electricity, they also expose our communities, especially our children, to dangerous and hazardous conditions - this may lead to injury and loss of life. This is highly unacceptable," she added.