Girl Swallows 50p Coin, Dies after Surgery

Jyoti Shelar/DNA India

Mumbai, Feb 25: The parents of a three-year-old girl who died after being operated upon to remove a 50paise coin she swallowed are blaming doctors for negligence.

On February 20, Kajal Washinikar was playing with a 50paise coin at her Malad home when she swallowed it. However, her parents Renuka and Sandeep had no clue. When she refused to eat anything and complained of throat ache, they took her to Mangalmurti Hospital on February 23. The child was immediately operated upon and the coin removed.

“The doctors assured the parents she would regain consciousness half an hour after the operation. But her condition deteriorated and she needed to be put on a ventilator,” said senior police inspector Jaywant Hargude of Malvani police station.

Since Mangalmurti did not have the facility, the authorities advised  shifting her to Bhagwati Hospital where the doctors declared the girl dead on admission. 

The parents then approached the Malvani police stating their daughter had died due to the negligence of doctors at Mangalmurti Hospital. “The doctors showed me the coin they removed and assured us she was fine,” said Renuka.

She says Kajal did not regain consciousness three hours after the operation so they alerted the doctor. “The doctor told us Kajal needed a ventilator and since they didn’t have one she should be transferred to Bhagwati Hospital but my daughter was declared dead on arrival at Bhagwati,” added the distraught mother.

“The parents allege Kajal died due to an overdose of anaesthesia,” said Hargude, adding they were waiting for the medical report following which appropriate action would be taken. A case of accidental death has been registered.


Top Stories

Leave a Comment

Title: Girl Swallows 50p Coin, Dies after Surgery

You have 2000 characters left.


Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will be held responsible.