US launches probe into controversial anti-drug strikes in Caribbean waters


Daijiworld Media Network – Washington

Washington, May 19: The Pentagon’s internal watchdog has launched an investigation into the US military’s targeting of suspected drug-smuggling boats in the Caribbean and Pacific regions under Operation Southern Spear, amid growing criticism over the legality of the strikes and concerns regarding civilian casualties.

According to reports, the US Defense Department’s Inspector General will examine the intelligence, targeting methods and operational procedures followed by the US Southern Command during the anti-drug campaign.

The operation, launched last year, has reportedly targeted nearly 60 small vessels allegedly linked to drug trafficking networks operating through the Caribbean Sea and eastern Pacific Ocean. Pentagon figures cited in media reports stated that 59 boats were destroyed and 193 people killed during the operations.

In a statement, the Inspector General’s office said the review would focus on the process used for selecting and targeting vessels within the Southern Command’s area of responsibility.

The investigation was reportedly initiated internally as part of the watchdog’s ongoing assessment of military operations and programmes.

Officials said the probe would review multiple aspects of the targeting process, including intelligence gathering, identification of targets, command approvals, operational execution and post-strike assessments.

The military campaign has drawn criticism from lawmakers and legal experts, some of whom have questioned whether the operations comply with international law and the laws governing armed conflict.

Concerns intensified following reports that US forces allegedly carried out a second strike on survivors from an earlier attack on a suspected drug-smuggling boat, raising questions about possible violations of the law of armed conflict.

Earlier reports had also claimed that the senior military lawyer overseeing the region had expressed disagreement with the Trump administration’s position that the strikes were lawful, though those objections were reportedly sidelined.

The investigation is expected to include reviews at both the Pentagon and the Southern Command headquarters in Miami. However, there was no immediate response from either the Pentagon or Southern Command regarding the probe.

Despite increasing global focus on tensions in West Asia, Operation Southern Spear has reportedly continued in recent weeks, with several strikes carried out in May alone.

 

 

  

Top Stories


Leave a Comment

Title: US launches probe into controversial anti-drug strikes in Caribbean waters



You have 2000 characters left.

Disclaimer:

Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.