Anderson Cooper exits 60 minutes after nearly two decades


Daijiworld Media Network – New York

New York, Feb 17: Veteran journalist Anderson Cooper is stepping away from 60 Minutes after nearly 20 years, marking the latest high-profile departure from CBS News amid ongoing changes at the network.

Cooper had served as a correspondent on the iconic news magazine since the 2006–2007 season through a unique arrangement between CBS News — owned by Paramount Skydance — and CNN, part of Warner Bros. Discovery.

Announcing his decision on Monday, Cooper cited family reasons. “For nearly twenty years, I’ve been able to balance my jobs at CNN and CBS, but I have little kids now and I want to spend as much time with them as possible, while they still want to spend time,” he said in a statement.

His exit comes amid a broader restructuring at CBS News following the appointment of Bari Weiss as editor-in-chief in October, after Paramount Skydance acquired her outlet, The Free Press.

Weiss has outlined plans to reshape the network’s editorial direction, promising to introduce 19 new contributors and adopt what she described as a “streaming mentality” in a bid to revive ratings. CBS has trailed competitors such as ABC and NBC in recent years as traditional broadcast news struggles against digital platforms and social media.

In a statement, CBS thanked Cooper for his longstanding contributions. “For more than two decades, Anderson Cooper has taken 60 Minutes viewers on journeys to faraway places, told unforgettable stories, reported consequential investigations and interviewed many prominent figures. We’re grateful to him and understand the importance of spending more time with family. 60 Minutes will be here if he ever wants to return,” the network said.

Reports suggest Weiss had explored the possibility of bringing Cooper to CBS News in a full-time capacity, including potentially anchoring the “CBS Evening News.”

Cooper, who joined CNN in 2001, continues to anchor Anderson Cooper 360°. Over the years, he has covered major global events, including U.S. presidential inaugurations, political conventions, the Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina and the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. He renewed his contract with CNN last year.

His departure from “60 Minutes” was first reported by journalist Lachlan Cartwright in the Breaker newsletter.

 

 

  

Top Stories


Leave a Comment

Title: Anderson Cooper exits 60 minutes after nearly two decades



You have 2000 characters left.

Disclaimer:

Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.