New Delhi, July 13 (IANS) US President Barack Obama Wednesday strongly condemned the "outrageous attacks" in Mumbai and offered help in investigating the serial terror strikes that killed at least 20 people and injured over 100.
"I strongly condemn the outrageous attacks in Mumbai, and my thoughts and prayers are with the wounded and those who have lost loved ones," Obama said in a statement.
"The American people will stand with the Indian people in times of trial, and we will offer support to India's efforts to bring the perpetrators of these terrible crimes to justice," he said.
Recalling his trip to Mumbai during his maiden visit to India in November last year, Obama said he saw "firsthand the strength and resilience of the Indian people." "I have no doubt that the India will overcome these deplorable terrorist attacks," he added.
Condemning the attacks, White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters that the U.S. will help India with its investigation of the bombings in every possible way.
US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs William Burns telephoned Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao to "strongly condemn the Mumbai blasts".
"US Under Secretary of State Bill Burns calls FS to strongly condemn Mumbai blasts, offers US support & any assistance that India may require," Vishnu Prakash, spokesperson of the external affairs ministry, said in a tweet posted on the social networking site.
The blasts took place ahead of the visit of US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to India July 19-20 for the annual foreign ministers dialogue here.