Mangaluru: One cow dead, four serious after eating chickweed leaves

Mohan Kuthar

Daijiworld Media Network – Mangaluru (MS)

Mangaluru, Mar 9: One cow died, while four others are in serious condition after eating chickweed (Goli Soppu) leaves at Mundoli under the limits of Someshwar gram panchayat. The seriously ill cattle are treated by the team led by Kotekar veterinary doctor Ganjendra Kumar.

The incident occurred at the house of agriculturist Sanjeeva Poojary. On March 8 afternoon, the family members put the leaves on the place where the cattle sleep. However, the cattle got sick after eating the same.

Around evening, while some of the cattle fell as they were sleeping, others were banging their legs to the ground in discomfort. The family members informed the matter to the veterinary doctor. As the doctor was in an emergency meeting at the assistant commissioner’s office, he sent his assistants, who gave primary aid. However, one cow died on Thursday March 9 morning. The rest of the cattle were in critical condition.

People, who got the news, gathered in front of the house of Sanjeeva Poojary and expressed unhappiness over the delay by the veterinary doctor. Later, the treatment began under the guidance of Kotekar veterinary doctor Dr Chandrahas. Talapady veterinary doctor Rachana also arrived on the spot and the treatment is in progress.

Explaining the incident, Dr Ganjendra Kumar P K, veterinary doctor of Kotekar said, “The leaves were put on the bedding on which the cattle take rest. However, the cows ate the same in huge quantities. Because of this food poisoning occurred. The juice of the leaves mixed into the blood of the cows and sickening occurred. One cow died and others are critical. Treatment is continuing.

“As there is a convention on March 17, to identify the beneficiaries, a meeting was called on March 8 at the office of assistant commissioner at Konaje. That is why I could not attend to the sick cattle personally and sent my assistant Dr Chandrahas,” he said.

Meanwhile, it has come to light that Ullal taluk has only one veterinary doctor. Dr Gajendra Kumar P K has to handle all issues. There is no veterinary doctor available at Pavoor, Konaje, Amblamogaru and Kurndu veterinary hospitals. Dr Rachana of Talapady also has additional responsibility of Adyar, so she is available for some days in Ullal taluk. The load on Dr Gajendra Kumar is huge. As the assistant inspector position is also vacant, it is becoming difficult for Dr Gajendra to handle things alone.





Top Stories

Comment on this article

  • Rahul, Dubai

    Fri, Mar 10 2023

    very sorry for the owner.. Can’t take my eyes of that incident when our buffalo died and my dad was crying

    DisAgree Agree [2] Reply Report Abuse

  • agnel, Udupi

    Fri, Mar 10 2023

    The leaves do not seem to be Goli soppu, what is chick weed is not very clear. Goli soppu Leaves are usually thick and slightly wider, unlike the slim and longer leaves shown in the Pictures. The farmer must be well versed with taking care of the cattle and cow shed does not ooz love fake or true. Fake people do not take care of cows, it is only for news, and they preach more than they do any caring or service of any animals for that matter be it the sacred cow or farm buffalo or any other domestic animals. The leaves are neither chickweed not Goli soppu. One needs to find out what leaves are these and may well be known poisonous plant if consumed in quantity. Does not look like any plant leaves seen in the area, Normally animals do not eat poisonous plants themselves, however in this case they would have eaten as they were fed in quantity. Hope the doctors provide due care and save the innocent animals.

    DisAgree Agree [2] Reply Report Abuse

  • Babu Shenoy, Mangalore

    Thu, Mar 09 2023

    The cattle farmers need to be educated about this poisonous weed chickweed. What is it called in local languages? The news report mentions the word ಗೋಳಿಸೊಪ್ಪು (golisoppu) which does not seem to be a correct name. Banyan tree is known by that name. Can someone kindly enlighter the public with regard to this poisonous weed?

    DisAgree Agree [3] Reply Report Abuse

  • Observer, Mangalore

    Thu, Mar 09 2023

    Condition of the Shed speaks fake love towards Gau Matha

    DisAgree [7] Agree [9] Reply Report Abuse

  • Flavian, Mangalore/Kuwait

    Thu, Mar 09 2023

    Not a good news at all. However, the farmers ned to be compensated by authorities concerned in the gram panchayat.

    DisAgree Agree [3] Reply Report Abuse

Leave a Comment

Title: Mangaluru: One cow dead, four serious after eating chickweed leaves

You have 2000 characters left.


Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will be held responsible.