Daijiworld Media Network - New Delhi
New Delhi, Aug 22: An unusual communication from Rashtrapati Bhavan on Friday, August 21, briefly indicated that Bangladesh Prime Minister Tarique Rahman’s much-discussed visit to India could take place shortly. The communication, however, was withdrawn within about an hour, adding to uncertainty over the proposed visit.
The President’s Secretariat had issued a press release in the afternoon with the headline, “No Change of Guard Ceremony this Saturday”. It stated that the weekly Change of Guard Ceremony at the Forecourt of Rashtrapati Bhavan would not be held on Saturday, August 22.
“The Change of Guard Ceremony at the Forecourt of Rashtrapati Bhavan will not take place this Saturday (August 22 ) due to the full rehearsal for the ceremonial welcome of the Prime Minister of Bangladesh,” the release said.

The communication was issued in the name of Navika Gupta, Deputy Press Secretary to the President of India. The reference to a “full rehearsal” for the ceremonial welcome of the Bangladesh prime minister immediately created the impression that Rahman’s visit to New Delhi was imminent.
However, neither the Indian government nor Bangladesh had formally confirmed the dates of the proposed visit at that point. The Indian Ministry of External Affairs also declined to provide confirmation. MEA spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal, when asked about the visit, said, “I have nothing to say right now. If I have any update, I will share with you.”
About an hour after the initial communication, Rashtrapati Bhavan issued another notice withdrawing it. The fresh communication said: “Press release issued on the subject ‘No Change of Guard Ceremony this Saturday’, which was issued on August 21, stands withdrawn.”
The withdrawal came amid uncertainty over Rahman’s proposed India visit, which has been under discussion between New Delhi and Dhaka. Reports had suggested that Rahman could travel to New Delhi around August 23-25, but his office said that no final decision had been taken.
Bangladesh Prime Minister’s Press Secretary A A M Saleh told Reuters that “no decision has yet been made” on the visit. He said Dhaka was waiting for India’s response to its request for the extradition of former prime minister Sheikh Hasina and other fugitives.
The proposed visit assumes significance as it would be Rahman’s first trip to India since becoming Bangladesh prime minister. India and Bangladesh have been discussing the visit as part of efforts to improve bilateral ties, which have been strained following the political upheaval in Bangladesh and the subsequent presence of former prime minister Sheikh Hasina in India.
India has invited Rahman for a bilateral visit and also for the BRICS outreach session. The upcoming BRICS summit is scheduled to be held on September 12-13, adding diplomatic importance to the proposed engagement.
Tensions between New Delhi and Dhaka have remained particularly sensitive over Bangladesh’s demand for Hasina’s extradition. Dhaka has indicated that a more favourable diplomatic environment is necessary for Rahman’s India visit, while India has said it is examining the extradition request under its legal framework.
Earlier this week, Indian High Commissioner Dinesh Trivedi had sought to ease bilateral tensions during an event in Dhaka and said Prime Minister Narendra Modi wanted to make Rahman’s India trip “memorable”.
The Rashtrapati Bhavan communication therefore created considerable interest because preparations for a ceremonial welcome would ordinarily suggest that the visit had reached an advanced stage. Its subsequent withdrawal, however, made clear that the timing and programme of Rahman’s India visit had not been formally settled.
The episode has added another layer of uncertainty to the proposed visit at a time when India and Bangladesh are attempting to navigate sensitive diplomatic issues, including the extradition request for Hasina and broader efforts to reset bilateral relations.