Odisha floods: Over 13 lakh affected, nearly 4.9 lakh evacuated


Daijiworld Media Network - Bhubaneswar

Bhubaneswar, Aug 21: The flood situation in Odisha remained grim on Friday, with hundreds of villages and lakhs of people still marooned across the state. The government is closely monitoring the situation while continuing relief, rescue and restoration of essential services in affected areas.

According to the latest report from the State Emergency Operation Centre (SEOC), functioning under the Office of the Special Relief Commissioner (SRC), seven districts — Baleshwar, Mayurbhanj, Bhadrak, Jajpur, Kendujhar, Kendrapada and Sundargarh — have been affected in the current phase of flooding.

The SRC office said 13,44,698 people in 1,703 villages across 505 gram panchayats, 76 blocks and 12 Urban Local Bodies have been impacted by the continuing floods.

“During the last few days, the situation has remained comparatively challenging in Mayurbhanj, Baleshwar, Bhadrak, Jajpur, Kendrapada and Kendujhar districts. However, as of today, major rivers have been showing a falling trend and are below the danger level,” the state government said.

Authorities have so far evacuated 4,87,350 people and accommodated them in 880 relief shelters. Relief and restoration operations are continuing across affected areas, while the SEOC and district-level District Emergency Operation Centres (DEOCs) are monitoring the situation round the clock.

Free kitchens remain operational in the affected areas, with 4,95,833 beneficiaries provided cooked food so far. Dry food and other essential relief materials are also being distributed according to local requirements, including 4,765 polythene sheets/rolls to affected families.

To strengthen rescue and emergency response operations, 126 response teams have been deployed across the affected districts.

These include 32 ODRAF teams, eight NDRF teams, 46 Fire and Emergency Services teams and 40 Police/Civil Defence/Local teams. Additional resources remain available for deployment as required.

The response teams have been working continuously to reach affected communities and provide assistance. Rescue teams have so far reached 492 cut-off villages, while 124 emergency medical evacuations have been carried out.

A total of 210 boats and specialised equipment have been deployed for rescue and relief operations.

The government said health services remain a priority in all affected areas. As many as 93 medical teams have been deployed and 159 medical camps conducted, providing assistance to 11,549 people.

Special attention is being given to maternal healthcare, with 150 pregnant women shifted to health institutions and 44 institutional deliveries conducted.

The government said adequate stocks of essential medicines, anti-snake venom, ORS and IV fluids have been ensured, and no disease outbreak has been reported so far.

  

Top Stories


Leave a Comment

Title: Odisha floods: Over 13 lakh affected, nearly 4.9 lakh evacuated



You have 2000 characters left.

Disclaimer:

Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.