Iran warns US against fresh attack amid peace talks


Daijiworld Media Network - Tehran

Tehran, May 19: Iran on Tuesday warned that it would open “new fronts” against the United States if Washington resumed military attacks, following comments by US President Donald Trump that he had paused a planned offensive to allow space for negotiations.

Iranian army spokesman Mohammad Akraminia said the country was prepared to respond with “new equipment and new methods” if attacked again.

“If the enemy is foolish enough to fall into the Zionist trap again and launches new aggression against our beloved Iran, we will open new fronts against it,” Akraminia was quoted as saying by Iran’s ISNA news agency.

The warning comes amid ongoing diplomatic exchanges between Washington and Tehran aimed at ending the West Asia conflict that began on February 28. The two sides have reportedly held one round of talks so far under a fragile ceasefire that has remained in place since April 8.

In a post on his Truth Social platform, Trump said leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates had urged him to delay a planned US strike on Iran as serious negotiations were underway.

However, Trump also said he had directed the US military to remain ready for a “full, large-scale assault” if an acceptable agreement was not reached.

Akraminia said Iran had used the ceasefire period to strengthen its combat capabilities. He also reiterated Tehran’s control over the strategic Strait of Hormuz, through which a significant portion of global oil shipments passes.

“The only way for the enemy is to respect the Iranian nation and observe the legitimate rights of the Islamic republic,” he said.

Iran on Monday confirmed that it had responded to a fresh US proposal while continuing diplomatic contacts despite reports in Iranian media that Washington’s demands were excessive.

According to Iran’s Fars news agency, the US proposal included a demand that Iran operate only one nuclear facility and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the United States.

The report also claimed that Washington had refused to release even 25 per cent of Iran’s frozen overseas assets or agree to reparations for war-related damage.

Iran has maintained that any agreement must include the release of frozen assets, lifting of long-standing sanctions and compensation for damages caused during the conflict.

  

Top Stories


Leave a Comment

Title: Iran warns US against fresh attack amid peace talks



You have 2000 characters left.

Disclaimer:

Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.