Daijiworld Media Network - New Delhi
New Delhi, May 18: India on Monday strongly condemned the drone attack targeting the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the United Arab Emirates, calling it a “dangerous escalation” amid rising tensions in West Asia.
In an official statement, the Ministry of External Affairs said India was deeply concerned over the strike on the UAE’s only nuclear facility and urged all sides to return to diplomacy and dialogue.
“India is deeply concerned at the attack targeting the Barakah nuclear facility in the UAE. Such actions are unacceptable and represent a dangerous escalation. We urgently call for restraint and a return to dialogue and diplomacy,” the statement said.

The remarks came after a drone strike reportedly triggered a fire near the Barakah nuclear power plant on Sunday. UAE authorities described the incident as an “unprovoked terrorist attack”.
The fire was reported outside the inner perimeter of the nuclear facility located in the Al Dhafra region of Abu Dhabi. Authorities said no injuries were reported and radiation safety levels remained unaffected.
In a public update posted on X, Abu Dhabi’s media office said emergency teams had successfully controlled the situation and all precautionary measures were taken immediately.
The incident has sparked international concern, although no group has claimed responsibility for the strike so far.
While the UAE has not officially blamed any country, suspicion has reportedly fallen on Iran amid ongoing regional tensions and repeated allegations related to drone attacks on Gulf infrastructure since the escalation of conflict in the region earlier this year.
The Barakah Nuclear Power Plant, which began operations in 2020, is located near the borders of Saudi Arabia and Qatar. The facility reportedly supplies nearly one-fourth of the UAE’s electricity requirements.