Daijiworld Media Network – Puttur (MS)
Puttur, Mar 21: In a daredevil and timely act, a girl college student saved the life of her mother who was bitten by a cobra. This incident occurred at Keyyur of the taluk.
Shramya Rai, a degree student of a private college of the city and ranger of scouts and guides, is the brave young girl, who saved the life of her mother. The incident took place five days ago. Citizens have widely appreciated the bravery and presence of mind of Shramya.
Mamata Rai, a gram panchayat member of Keyyur and mother of Shramya, had been to her mother’s house which is nearby. Mamata had gone to the farmland in order to switch on the pump. As she was returning, she accidentally stepped on the cobra, which bit her. An alert Mamata immediately put a knot of dry grass above the bite mark in order to prevent the venom from spreading upwards in the body. However, Shramya, who realized that the dry grass knot will not be that effective, sucked the venom from the wound.
Mamata was later taken to hospital and she survived without any ill effects of the cobra bite because of the timely presence of mind shown by her daughter Shramya.
Shramya said, “My mother informed me about the snake bite. Though we tied dry grass above the bite, I was not confident that the venom would not spread to the other parts of the body. So I sucked the venom through my mouth. Doctors at the hospital said that the sucking of poison was better. This is my first experience. I took the courage as I had heard about this first aid technique and also saw the same in some movie.”