October 10, 2013
(World Mental Health Day)
Though we all know that “prevention is better than cure”, we hardly break our heads on preventing something. We realize the importance of prevention only after we go through the suffering. The same happens even when we go through stress. I guess we should start spending some time on thinking on how we can prevent or minimize the stress that we go through in the day to day life so that we have a healthy mind to realize our dreams.
On the occasion of World Mental Health Day on 10th of October 2013, I would like to write a few methods through which we can prevent or at least minimize our day-to-day stress.
1) Plan and organize yourself: Imagine yourself not knowing what to do next!! The amount of stress created during such a situation is more than the stress involved in what has to be done tomorrow. A proper plan might include what to cook, how to cook, where to go, what to do or even what to wear etc. If things are pre-decided they tend to go on in a smooth way without any confusion.
2) Manage your time: Look for the time available and divide your time effectively. See to it that your time is divided proportionally for your work, time for yourself care, leisure, family outings etc.
3) Have enough time for yourself: Make sure that you dedicate some time in a day or at least once in 3 days to do what you like. It can be anything from gardening, movie, and music to talking to somebody.
4) Prioritize your tasks: When you have lots to do in a short duration of time, prioritize your tasks. See what is the most important out of all the tasks and try to do them before all the rest. This will definitely reduce the experience of tension in your mind.
5) Do not keep high expectations from yourself: High expectations when unmet creates stress. This is found to be one of the commonest factors for stress in the present generations. Instead keep expectations which you feel are matching your capacities, fulfillment of which will give you a feeling of goodness.
6) Share your responsibilities: When you feel stressed out do not be hesitant to get help from your loved ones. Do not ever feel that sharing responsibilities shows weakness. Your loved ones will always be eager to help you whenever you want.
7) Share your feelings: Even if you are not comfortable inn sharing your responsibilities with someone, make sure that you share your feelings and lent out your emotions to somebody you love and trust. This will energize you for the upcoming day.
8) Avoid or minimize alcohol intake: Alcohol intake might reduce your stress at once, but will not long last. Instead look for options wherein you can reduce your stress for long term. The stress experienced after the effects of alcohol subside is always more than the stress experienced before the intake of alcohol.
9) Have a proper diet with proper sleep: Healthy food as well as healthy sleep habits will prepare your body very well for the various stressors that your body undergoes. Make sure that you eat well and at least have 6-8hours of sleep every night for a refreshing morning.
10) Ignore what is not necessary: You cannot change neither others nor the world at once. Try your best and do not worry or get distressed when things don’t work out. Time is the best medicine at times.
Try following these tips and see the difference. Wish you all a healthy mind!