Daijiworld Media Network - Mangaluru (SP/NJR)
Mangaluru, Apr 18: United Muslim Front along with 60 like-minded organizations will be holding 'Mangaluru Chalo' programme with the slogan, 'Justice for Qureshi' at Nehru Maidan here at 3 pm on Friday April 28. This was announced by convener of the Front and former city mayor, K Ashraf.
Addressing a press conference here on Tuesday April 17, Ashraf accused the police personnel of the city crime branch (CCB) of arresting Ahmed Qureshi from the compound of the court here in the guise of questioning him, and then keeping him in illegal confinement for six days, and torturing him during this period, thereby hoodwinking the search warrant of the court.
"We are conducting a 'Mangaluru Chalo' in order to revolt against the actions of the CCB police due to which the
youngster had to undergo kidney failure. He was kept in illegal confinement from March 21 to 27, and tortured.
He said that this physical torture had resulted in physical deformity and 60 percent kidney failure besides causing gashes on the skin. Ashraf also accused the police of admitting Qureshi into hospital with delay and not properly responding to efforts made by various organizations and delegations to get justice for Qureshi. He said that therefore, United Muslim Front will be holding the said programme.
"This programme will seek to bring together all Muslims to fight against the injustice. Compensation should be disbursed to Ahmed Qureshi who has lost his kidney due to police torture. The entire cost of his treatment should be borne by the police. The police personnel who tortured him should be suspended from service. The present city crime branch (CCB) team should be reconstituted by replacing the current team with a new one," Ashraf demanded.
He lamented about the inertia shown by departments, political leaders and government towards the efforts made by people and organizations to get justice for Qureshi so far. He accused CCB police officer, Sunil Naik, sub-inspector, Shyam Sundar and police constables of violating human rights and denying justice in spite of the prevalence of specific yardsticks about the ways and means to collect information required from a person facing investigation.
When questioned why the event was being held so many days after the incident, he replied, "The event is a big and major one, and we would like a few days in order to be able to properly organise it, as the event is not just a city affair but would be conducted as an entire state affair."
He added that the said programme will be totally democratic and peaceful in nature, and that it is being organized purely to extend support to Ahmed Qureshi with the backing of people at large and various organizations.
He also said that the United Muslim Front had nothing to do with the spread of fake messages on social media about Qureshi's health.
"Atrocities against minorities have been on the rise in the district for the last several years. The rights of minorities are not being recognized. Requests for justice are responded in the form of atrocities. There is no backing out if the demands are not fulfilled," he said. He also went on to express his displeasure about the 'discrimination' faced by the minorities in the city.
In a statement to the media later in the day, Ashraf said that the programme at Nehru Maidan that was to be held on April 28 has been postponed to May 2.