Daijiworld Media Network - Mumbai
Mumbai, Aug 19: Nearly 1,500 people were inside Aaykar Bhavan when a fire broke out in the building’s basement on Monday afternoon, but the presence of floor marshals, awareness of emergency exits and coordinated evacuation helped avert panic and a possible stampede, Mumbai Fire Brigade officials said.
According to officials involved in the firefighting operation, designated floor marshals guided employees to safety while staff members used multiple available exits instead of rushing towards a single point.

Despite firefighting operations continuing for nearly five hours, no injuries or fatalities were reported. Officials credited the building’s evacuation arrangements and staff awareness for preventing a major emergency.
An internal WhatsApp group used by employees also played a role in the evacuation. Information regarding evacuation procedures and accessible routes was shared among staff through the group, officials said.
The building’s smoke detectors and fire alarms, however, could not be used during the operation as the power supply had been disconnected as a precaution.
Firefighters faced difficult conditions while tackling the blaze in the basement, where water had risen to knee level, creating a potential risk of electric shock. The power supply was therefore immediately shut off.
The basement, which can be accessed through three staircases, contained steel trunks, wooden cupboards and other stored materials. It also housed arms and ammunition, which were among the first items moved out after the fire was detected due to the danger posed by the intense heat.
Fire Brigade officials said a detailed investigation would be conducted to determine the cause of the fire.
Officials from the Public Works Department, including the chief electrical inspector, forensic experts and BEST representatives, are expected to assist in the probe. Teams were called in on Tuesday to examine the circumstances surrounding the blaze and help establish its cause.