Pics: Dayanand Kukkaje / Spoorthi Ullal / Justin D'Silva
Daijiworld Media Network - Mangaluru
Mangaluru, Dec 24: It is that time of the year when festive spirit pervades the air, as thousands of Christians flock to churches to herald Christmas with joy and devotion.
On Christmas Eve, Tuesday December 24, churches in Mangaluru and around the coastal region brimmed with faithful.
St Sebastian Church, Bendore
Bishop of Mangaluru diocese Dr Peter Paul Saldanha celebrated the Mass at Rosario Cathedral.
Churches were adorned with twinkling lights, sparkling decorations and beautiful Christmas cribs celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ.
Carol singing and attractive Christmas trees added to the festivities.
The birth of Jesus Christ was celebrated with much joy and religious fervour in across Udupi district.
On Christmas Eve, special Mass, choir and cultural programmes were held in the churches.
Bishop Dr Gerald Isaac D'Souza celebrated the Mass at Milagres Cathedral, Kallianpur and delivered the Christmas message.
Milagres Cathedral, Kallianpur
Rector and vicar of Milagres Cathedral, assistant parish priest Fr Canute Noronha, Milagres English Medium School's principal Fr Lancy Fernandes and others were present.
Churches across Udupi were decorated with Christmas lights, stars and other adornments. Christmas cribs portraying Infant Jesus were a special attraction.
Special cultural programmes were organized by youth associations, while Santa Claus spread cheer among children.
Christmas celebrations at other churches:
- St John Mary Vianny Church Bambil, Bantwal
- Guardian Angel's Church, Angelore
- Most Holy Redeemer Church, Derebail
- Immaculate Conception Church, Kinnigoli
- St Anne Church, Kelarai
- Christmas cribs from around Mangaluru
- St Lawrence the Martyr Church, Permude, Kasargod
- Milagres Church, Mangaluru
- St Sebastian Church Permannur
- Bishop's House, Mangaluru
- St Vincent Ferrer Church, Valencia
- St Lawrence Church, Bondel