Koppal: 5 students electrocuted to death in residential school building

Koppal, Aug 18 (IANS): Five students aged 14-16 years were electrocuted to death in a freak mishap on the terrace of a residential school building in Karnataka's Koppal town, police said on Sunday.

"The tragic incident occurred when the boys were removing a 15-feet iron pole mounted on a mud-filled drum used to hoist the national flag on the Independence Day (August 15) on the terrace. As the pole they were holding came into contact with an 11 kilovolt (kv) live electric wire over the hostel building, they got electrocuted and died of shock," Koppal Superintendent of Police Renuka Sukumar told IANS on phone.

Koppal is 350km northwest of Bengaluru in state's backward region.

The ill-fated students were identified as Mallikarjun, Basavaraj, Devaraj, Ganesh and Kumar.

"A case of negligence has been registered against the state-run BCM Deveraj Urs King's residential school hostel warden, the one-floor building owner and an official of the state-run electricity utility provider (Gescom) under section 304A of the IPC (Indian Penal Code)," Sukumar said.

Expressing shock over the death of the teenage students, state Chief Minister B.S. Yediyurappa in Bengaluru ordered an inquiry into the mishap and directed the district deputy commissioner to give Rs 5 lakh compensation to each victim's bereaved family members.



Comment on this article

  • Dr Arun Prasad T, Mudipu

    Sun, Aug 18 2019

    ವಸತಿ ಶಾಲೆಯ ಮುಖ್ಯಸ್ಥರ ಬೇಜವಾಬ್ದಾರಿ .ಸಂಬಳ ತಿನ್ನುವುದೊ೦ದೇ ಇವರ ಗುರಿ .ತಮ್ಮನ್ನು ಯಾರೂ ಪ್ರಶ್ನಿಸಬಾರದು ಎಂಬ ಇವರ ಧೋರಣೆ .ಇವರಿಗೆ ಸಾಥ್ ನೀಡುವ ಕೆಲವು ಪೋಷಕರು .ಮಡಿದ ಎಳೆಯ ಮಕ್ಕಳಿಗೆ ಶ್ರದ್ಧಾಂಜಲಿ.

    DisAgree Agree [11] Reply Report Abuse

  • Dr. Haneef Shabab, Bhatkal

    Sun, Aug 18 2019

    Oh may God !
    What an horrible and shocking incident !
    Indeed it is grave negligence on the part of school authorities.

    DisAgree Agree [15] Reply Report Abuse

  • Vincent Rodrigues, Katapadi/Bangaluru

    Sun, Aug 18 2019

    Grave negligence resulting innocent deaths which need to investigated.

    DisAgree Agree [26] Reply Report Abuse

  • Paul D Souza, Bondel/Sharjah

    Sun, Aug 18 2019

    Very sad shocking news. May their soul rest in Peace. Heartfelt condolences their family.

    DisAgree Agree [21] Reply Report Abuse

  • I wish I was There, Bahrain

    Sun, Aug 18 2019

    RIP, my kids are of the same age,

    DisAgree Agree [13] Reply Report Abuse

  • abdul, udupi

    Sun, Aug 18 2019

    In our country safety takes the last place. Really shocking to hear the loss of five innocent lives.

    Hope more stress is given by elders while handling these kind of arrangements.

    May the soul of the departed rest in peace.

    DisAgree Agree [41] Reply Report Abuse

  • Evans C. Sumitra, Udupi/ New York, USA.

    Sun, Aug 18 2019

    I like your comments and there is no doubt about it.

    DisAgree [1] Agree [8] Reply Report Abuse

  • Cynthia, Kirem

    Sun, Aug 18 2019

    Really shocking news.....my goodness... May the souls of departed angels rest in peace... Heartfelt condolences to the bereaved families/teachers and friends...

    DisAgree [1] Agree [41] Reply Report Abuse


Title : Koppal: 5 students electrocuted to death in residential school building


You have 2000 characters left.


Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.

Security Validation

Enter the characters in the image