Conakry (guinea), March 29 (IANS): Ten new cases of Ebola with seven deaths were reported Friday in Guinea, bringing the total number of cases to 112 and 70 deaths since the declaration of this deadly epidemic, a source from the health ministry said.
To develop a harmonised fight against the disease, the health ministry organised a forum bringing together all senior officials of health institutions, to provide them with necessary tools to report any relevant information in real time for a quick response, Xinhua reported Saturday.
The head of disease prevention unit Sakoba Keita said a vast census operation had been launched targeting all those who had come in contact with any ebola patient in hospital or at home.
The health authorities have equally decided to set up commissions in all communal health centres to examine the development of the situation with regard to the ebola virus.
Keita urged families of those who had died from ebola to avoid taking part in the burial ceremonies.
To support Guinea's bid to fight against the ebola epidemic, the health agency of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has given the country $150,000.
According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), the ebola virus is transmitted through contact with blood or bodily fluids of an infected person or animal.
Outbreaks of ebola occur primarily in remote villages in Central and West Africa, near tropical rainforests, WHO said.