Daijiworld Media Network - New Delhi
New Delhi, Aug 31: Former diplomat Vikas Swarup on Friday said that while the Trump administration is applying pressure on India, the country will continue to uphold its principle of strategic autonomy and will not be “dictated” by any nation.
Speaking to ANI, Swarup, who previously served as the official spokesperson for the Ministry of External Affairs, said, “The current India-US relationship is not in good shape. Many expected a trade deal to come early, given the personal rapport between PM Modi and President Trump, but that has not happened.”
He added, “US officials are trying all kinds of pressure, but India is a proud nation and has always followed strategic autonomy. We will not be dictated to. There is still time for both sides to find a mutually acceptable solution, though these recent comments from the Trump administration are not helping.”
Swarup’s remarks came in response to White House trade advisor Peter Navarro, who defended President Trump’s decision to impose 50 per cent tariffs on Indian imports. Navarro accused India of profiting from Russian oil and providing a financial lifeline to Moscow amid the Ukraine conflict.
In a post on X, Navarro said, “President Trump's 50% tariffs on Indian imports are now in effect. This isn't just about India's unfair trade—it’s about cutting off the financial lifeline India has extended to Putin’s war machine.” He further alleged that India uses U.S. dollars to buy discounted Russian crude, which is then refined and sold for profit, aiding Russia’s war efforts.
However, Navarro’s claims have been questioned, as Russian President Vladimir Putin noted in Alaska on August 16 that bilateral trade with India had increased by 20 per cent since Trump’s reinstatement as President.