New York, Jan 18 (IANS/EFE): A computer error almost led to an asthma attack for an unemployed doorman who received a bill for $44.7 million from a hospital in New York.
"I almost had an asthma attack," said 28-year-old Alexis Rodriguez, recounting his reaction when he saw the bill from the Bronx-Lebanon Hospital, the New York Daily News said.
Robinson underwent three weeks of treatment for pneumonia at the hospital in April last year, and was expecting a bill. But he was told he would have to pay only a small portion of the $40,000 tab.
He later learned that the firm that handles billing for the hospital mistakenly substituted invoice numbers for the amounts owed on bills that went to dozens of patients.
The firm which has been inundated by phone calls from other victims of the mistake, has sent out apologies to those who received erroneous bills.