Daijiworld Media Network - Ranchi
Ranchi, Aug 18: Activist Devendra Mahto ended his indefinite hunger strike on Monday evening after the Jharkhand government announced the cancellation of all competitive examinations conducted through testing agency TDPL since 2014 and promised reforms, prompting several other student protesters in Ranchi to call off their agitation.
However, a section of the protesters said they would continue their agitation until their key demand for a CBI probe into the cancelled examinations is accepted.
Reacting to the government's decision, Mahto said laws should be framed to ensure that no student is cheated or defrauded.

“Such a law should be made in the House so that no student is cheated or deceived. The government should guarantee this,” Mahto said.
He said the demands for which students had been protesting “in a constitutional and peaceful manner” had been met, prompting them to suspend the agitation.
“Today, on the 16th day of our hunger strike, we have ended our fast in a very dignified manner,” Mahto said.
He credited Jharkhand Health Minister Irfan Ansari, Minister Dipika Pandey and MLA Jairam Mahato with playing a “joint initiative” in resolving the issues.
Mahto, however, made it clear that the broader fight for reforms would continue. He thanked the Jharkhand government, Chief Minister Hemant Soren and Congress leader Rahul Gandhi for what he described as a “monumental” decision to cancel examinations conducted since 2014.
He said the decision was particularly significant because the appointment and joining processes for the CGL examination had already been completed, while students had raised conflicting claims regarding their cases.
“The decision taken today was not easy,” Mahto said, adding that the government had conducted an “honest and impartial inquiry” and found a way forward for all sides.
Student leaders, however, said their demand for a CBI probe into the cancelled JSSC-CGL and TDPL examinations remained pending despite the government's decision to scrap the exams.
Piyush Kumar described the government's move as “just the first step”.
“Our demands have not yet been fully met... The struggle will continue,” he said.
Ravindra Paswan thanked Chief Minister Hemant Soren and the state government for taking what he called a “historic and bold decision” in the interest of students, but urged the government to order a CBI investigation into the cancelled examinations.
“If you order a CBI investigation, then all of us students are with you,” Paswan said.
He added that students would examine the official notification before deciding their next course of action.
Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced on Monday that all examinations conducted through TDPL and the results published by the agency would be cancelled.
“All examinations conducted by TDPL and the results published by it are now cancelled. Examinations and recruitment conducted through TDPL stand cancelled,” Soren said.
He also announced that all examinations conducted through TDPL since 2014 would be investigated by the Crime Investigation Department (CID).
The decision came amid a major student protest at Ranchi's Jaipal Singh Munda Ground over alleged irregularities and paper leak allegations involving the JSSC-CGL and other recruitment examinations.
Jharkhand Minister Irfan Ansari said student leaders Devendra Mahto, Umme Habiba and Rahul Kranti voluntarily ended their hunger strike after the government accepted their demands.
Ansari said the leaders were given juice to break their fast and that the agitation formally concluded following the collective efforts of Dipika Pandey and Jairam Mahato.
He said the government had accepted all the demands, describing them as significant issues concerning the interests of the youth. Ansari also said Chief Minister Hemant Soren had taken a “historic decision” in the interest of young people.
According to Ansari, all three student leaders underwent medical examinations and were found to be healthy, with their blood pressure and blood sugar levels reported to be normal. They were subsequently discharged.
Students celebrated at the protest site soon after Soren announced the cancellation. Protesters raised slogans, congratulated each other and were seen shedding tears of joy.
Student leaders Umme Habiba and Rahul Kranti also ended their hunger strike at Sadar Hospital in the presence of Jharkhand Ministers Dipika Pandey Singh and Irfan Ansari following the government's announcement.
The cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and a CBI probe into the alleged irregularities had been among the students' key demands. While the government has ordered a CID investigation into examinations conducted since 2014, protesters continue to seek a CBI probe.
The agitation began on July 25 when a small group of students gathered at Ranchi's Vapu Batika Ground over alleged irregularities and paper leak allegations in the Jharkhand Public Service Commission and JSSC-CGL examinations.
The protest subsequently grew into a major student movement, with Mahto launching an indefinite hunger strike. Several other students later joined him.
Activist Sonam Wangchuk, speaking through a video call, congratulated Mahto and his team for their commitment, honesty and conviction during the agitation for students' rights.
Wangchuk also appreciated Chief Minister Hemant Soren for his gesture and for accepting the students' demands.