Metallic stent placed in 10-year old boy who had mistakenly swallowed acid


Kolkata, Jan 31 (IANS): Doctors at a private hospital here have successfully placed a kid-sized metallic stent across the narrowed part of the oesophagus of a 10-year-old- boy who was unable to swallow his own saliva, leave aside food and water, after gulping down sulphuric acid by mistake.

The boy's oesophagus, in other words the food pipe -- a muscular tube connecting the throat (pharynx) with the stomach -- was burnt by the acid which he had mistaken for a cold drink.

Suffering from significant malnutrition for his inability to eat for almost a month and weighing a mere 20 kgs, Vishwa's (name changed) health was deteriorating when he was referred to Medica Superspecialty Hospital by the doctors of a local hospital.

After examining the child and seeing the barium swallow X-ray, the doctors found he had a severely narrowed lower-end of esophagus with the contrast barely entering the stomach, the hospital said.

An upper GI (gastrointestinal) endoscopy dilated the narrowing and a feeding tube, popularly known as Ryle's tube, was placed through the narrowing area into the stomach for the feeding so as to correct his malnutrition.

After a month, the narrowed part of the oesophagus was dilated, but simultaneously the doctors detected a suspected fistulous communication between the stricture and the left bronchus (respiratory tube).

With the stricture seemingly tight, the doctors decided simple dilation with balloon would be difficult, but the child was able to take liquids after two more sessions.

The parents wanted to go with the stent placement procedure to avoid major surgery, explained the hospital's director, gastroenterology, Pradeepta Kumar Sethy.

Once the dilation sessions were over, the metallic stent placement was done in the patient's oesophagus under general anesthesia.

With the stent placed, the child had a dramatic recovery.

After two weeks, he resumed his normal activities like going to school, and within six weeks the stent was recently removed. Post this, he was under the observation of GI team for over a month.

  

Top Stories


LEAVE A COMMENT

Title : Metallic stent placed in 10-year old boy who had mistakenly swallowed acid


 
 
 
 

 
You have 2000 characters left.

Disclaimer:

Please write your correct name and email address. Kindly do not post any personal, abusive, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent, discriminatory or unlawful or similar comments. Daijiworld.com will not be responsible for any defamatory message posted under this article.

Please note that sending false messages to insult, defame, intimidate, mislead or deceive people or to intentionally cause public disorder is punishable under law. It is obligatory on Daijiworld to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments, to the authority concerned upon request.

Hence, sending offensive comments using daijiworld will be purely at your own risk, and in no way will Daijiworld.com be held responsible.


Security Validation

Enter the characters in the image