London, Jul 21 (IANS): The Chairman of the London 2012 Olympics, Sebastian Coe, has promised that the Games will be "safe and secure".
Speaking on BBC radio, Coe responded to questions regarding the failure of private security company G4S to provide the required number of security staff, which had led to a further 3,500 troops being called in last week.
Around 17,000 troops are now involved in helping keep the Olympics safe, reports Xinhua.
Meanwhile a further 1,200 military personnel are on standby should G4S employees fail to provide the expected cover at venues for the Olympics, which begins July 27.
"This is not an issue that has remotely compromised security. This was actually about the supply and the mix, it's never been about the numbers," explained Coe.
"We have got the numbers, courtesy of the military and our police services, we have got the numbers to make sure that this is a safe and secure Games," he said.
Coe joins the mayor of London, Boris Johnson in sounding a positive message over the Olympics at the end of a week in which security issues as well as worries over possible transport strikes and transport problems have captured the headlines.
"We are about to stage the greatest show on earth in the greatest city on earth, and if you believe much of the media we are all in the grip of paralyzing stage fright. We worry about security, when we always planned to have a strong military role in making our games as safe as possible," said Johnson.